Methacton/Quarry Hole Hall/

Fairview Schoolhouse #1/Fairview Consolidated School

Quarry Hall Road and Griffith Road, Worcester, PA

Worcester Methacton Mennonite Meeting House was the second Community School created in 1771 and held as such until 1849.  The German and English language was alternately instructed every two years “until the Trustees saw fit to change to the benefit of the community.”

The Methacton Mennonite Church community school became a common school in 1849 and continued as such until 1862 when it was relocated.  Property was purchased from Jacob & Caroline Gaumer for $95 on July 13, 1861.  It was then called Quarry Hole after a quarry almost adjacent to the school property.  The community felt that title was not very “refined” and the name Quarry Hall followed.  It was most likely renamed Fairview after a fire in 1896 that prompted the rebuilding of the structure on the same site but because it was in the village of Fairview it was often referred to as the Fairview School. The name was kept as Fairview during its time as a consolidated school for that area of the township until it was discontinued and sold in August 1947.

The following is an incomplete chronology of teachers, class lists and events from the earliest records until the school was sold in 1947.  Class lists are often incomplete.  Teacher ‘Reports to the Board of Directors’ occurred monthly. Students who did or did not appear on one list may have appeared or disappeared on another. Attendance, Progress and Deportment was tracked.  Progress and deportment was listed as Very Good, Good, Average, Middling, Poor and Very Poor and Indifferent.

Methacton School

1849-1850 William Goshow

1850-1851 William Goshow

Teacher salaries $20 per month for 5 months

1851-1852 James Lear

1852-1853 James Lear

1853-1854 Mr. Rosenberry

1854-1855 David K Custer/David Longacre

(Mr. Custer died and David Longacre was appointed for the unexpired term)

 Class list: Charles Anders, Joseph Anders, Susannah Anders, William Anders, Benjamin Anderson, Anjeline Bean, Benjamin Bean, Elizabeth Bean, Joseph Bean, Charles Bower, Hannah Bower, Jacob Bower, Sarah Bower, Christian Custer, Isaac Custer, John Custer, Abraham Dettra, Amanda M Dettra, Hannah Dettra, Elizabeth Dettra, James Dettra, Mary Matilda Dettra, Susanna Dettra, William Dettra, Abraham Detwiler, Catharine Detwiler, Elizabeth Detwiler, Jacob Detwiler, John Detwiler, Mary Detwiler, Mary Ann Detwiler, Milton Detwiler, Sarah Detwiler, Sarah Ann Detwiler, Warren J Detwiler, Wilson Gaumer, Catharine Hallman, Sarah Jane Hallman, Mary Elizabeth Harley, Abraham Keyser, Amanda Keyser, Catharine Keyser, Mary Jane Keyser, Sophia Keyser, Emma Kirk, Benjamin F Knowles, Adalaide Mattern, Anna Maria Mattern, Hannah K Mattern, William Mattern, George W Pipher, John Pipher, George W Rahn, Deborah Rittenhouse, George Rittenhouse, John Rittenhouse, Mary Rittenhouse, William Roberts, James Schatz, Henry B Schmuck, Louisa Schöps, Amanda Schultz, Catharine Ann Schultz,  Elizabeth Schultz, James Schultz, Mary Schultz, Charles Schwenk, Addison Wagner, John Weikel, George Williams, Charles Yocum, Emanuel Yocum, John Yocum, Mary Ann Yocum, Morris Yocum

Subjects: Orthography, Reading, Writing, English Grammar, Geography, Arithmetic & Mensuration

Books used: Comly’s Spelling Book, Cobbs Fifth Reader, the Mariner’s Chronicle, Mitchell’s School Geography, English Reader, Testament, Smith’s Grammar, Vogdes United States Arithmetic, Roses; Arithmetick and Bonnycastle’s Menusuration

1855-1856 Edwin R Gresh

Class list, girls and boys listed separately: Charles Anders 8, Joseph Anders 13, Susannah Anders 10, William Anders 15, Amanda Bean 7, Anjuline Bean 10, Benjamin Bean 17, Elizabeth Bean 11, Joseph Bean 14, Charles Bower 8, Jacob Bower 5, John Conley 14, Christian Custer 8, Isaac Custer 15, Jacob Custer 4, John Custer 19, Amanda M Dettere 15, Elizabeth Dettere 12, James Dettere 18, Mary Dettery 8, Elizabeth Detwiler 12, Mary Ann Detwiler 17, Sarah Detwiler 12, James Aderson Garmer/Gaumer 4, Henry Wilson Garmer/Gaumer 6, Elizabeth Gresh 17

John Gulden 10, Sarah Jane Hallman 5, Mary Elizabeth Harley 11, Aaron Hendricks 12, Amanda Hendricks 5, John Hendricks 7, Samuel Hendricks 9, Abraham Keyser 5, Amanda Keyser 7, Catharine Keyser 9, Mary Jane Keyser 10, Sophia Keyser 10, Emma Kirk 6, Adelaide Mattern 12, Annah Maria Mattern 10, Hannah Mattern 15, Lesher Wilson Mattern 4, William R Mattern 8, Debora Rittenhouse 6, John Rittenhouse 9, Mary Rittenhouse 14, William Sassaman 4, Louisa Sheps 14, John Schieltz 12, Franklin Schieltz 14, Henry Schieltz 14, Catharine Schultz 6, Amanda Schultz 8, Chester Schultz 4, Elizabeth Schultz 20, Mary Schultz 16, Charles Schwenk 15, Henry B Smuck 9, Adam Wagoner 10, John Wikle 9, Charles Yocum 18, Emanuel Yocum 13, John Yocum 6, Mary Ann Yocum 16, Morris Yocum 9

Books used: Reading & Spelling Books, Cobbs Arithmatic, Greenliefs & Rose Grammer Smith Mitchels Geography

1856-1857 Edwin R Gresh

1857-1858 Ernest Houseberg

1858-1859 Joseph R Ebert

1859-1860 John G Bates

On April 21, 1860 a motion was passed to build 2 new houses, one at Johnson’s and one at Methacton. 

On June 9, 1860 a resolution to build a house in place of the one at Methacton was discontinued for the present year.

1860-1861 John G Bates later Samuel Ebert and Franklin Hoffman

1861-1862 Samuel R Ebert

On May 17 1861, a resolution was passed that a School House be built to take the place of the one at Methacton, whereas Isaac Zimmerman and Albert Zimmerman were appointed, and authorized to wait on the Trustees of Methacton whether the material of the House could be obtained by them, to aid in the building of the new house. 

1862-1863 John C Morgan

The school term was fixed for 6 months. Previously a 5 month term was taught.

1863-1864 John C Morgan

On Oct 11, 1864 the request of 1861 was granted for transfer of the old house to the Township School Directors.  The church building was used as a community and later leased to the Township School Directors was sold at public sale for $57.37.  Isaac Zimmerman wrote the conditions of sale.  Under the agreement with Church Trustees, the Township board kept the building in repair with some expense thereby held some claim to it.

Quarry Hole Hall

1864-1865 Charles Cassel

Teachers salaries were fixed at $25 per month.

1865-1866 Emma McEwen

1866-1867 Isaac Longacre

1867-1868 Monroe Beyer

Teachers salaries were raised to $33 per month and school term to 7 months.

1868-1869 Theodore C Morgan (Class of ’89)

1869-1870 John R Weikel (attended Methacton School)

1870-1871 John R Weikel (attended Methacton School)

1871-1872 John R Weikel (attended Methacton School)

1872-1873 James A Ritter

Numbering of the seven Worcester schools begins (likely a voting district) and Quarry Hall is assigned #1

1873-1874 N S Jennings

1874-1875 Bessie Jennings

1875-1876 Bessie Jennings

1876-1877 John R Weikel (attended Methacton School)

1877-1878 John R Weikel (attended Methacton School)

1878-1879 Samuel L Jones

1879-1880 Samuel L Jones

1880-1881 John S Smith

1881-1882 Samuel L Jones

1882-1883 Howard M Nyce

The teacher’s salary was raised to $38 for 7 months for 22 days per month.

1883-1884 Maggie Gotwals

The teacher’s salary was raised to $40 for 7 months for 22 days per month.

1884-1885 C W Freyer

1 Jun 1885 adoption of a “graded” system.  [This begins the creation of first grade, second grade, etc. culminating in 1885 with 8th grade]

1885-1886 Lizzie Roberts

The graduating exercises were held on Saturday evening 24 Apr 1886 in Zieglers Hall (part of the Center Point Hotel), Center Point.  Clara B Custer one (of three) graduates – 1889 becomes teacher at Cassel school and in 1890 at Fairview #1.

1886-1887 Warren R Rahn

1887-1888 Warren R Rahn; Ernie Wanner (Class of ’87) – assistant

1888-1889 Warren R Rahn; Ernie Wanner (Class of ’87) – assistant

[“The Montgomery Transcript”, printed in Skippackville, begins to publish in English and excerpts from this local paper have been included here when relevant]

“The teachers of Worcester township met last Monday evening at Center Point to adopt the questions for the final examinations.   1 Feb 1889 – Montgomery Transcript

“County Superintendent Hoffecker spent two days visiting our schools last week.  We have to believe that he never found them in better conditions.” 8 Feb 1889 – Montgomery Transcript

“During the present term about every progressive public school teacher is striving to establish a library in his school for the pupils.  The means to purchase books, however, is generally lacking, and teachers are using various laudable means to raise money for that purpose, some by collecting of the patrons and others by giving entertainments.  In every instance thus far the schools have succeeded in getting a good beginning by purchasing a number of useful books, to which additions will be made from time to time as funds accumulate.  Horace K Anson, teacher of Stump Hall School, Worcester township, held a very successful entertainment January 19, Samuel K Brecht, teacher of Metz’s school, in the same township secured by Horne to deliver a lecture.   1 Mar 1889-Montgomery Transcript

“The directors of the Worcester schools propose to hold the examination of the seniors private.  No one but those immediately interested will be admitted.  This is not done from a selfish standpoint, but formerly so very many attended, but the noise confused both the examiner and the examined, and even crowed the latter.  15 Mar 1889-Montgomery Transcript

“Superintendent Hoffecker finished the examination of the senior class of the Worcester public schools last Monday.  The following are the names of the graduates, all of whom passed a very creditable examination.  Theodore Morgan [Quarry Hall], Bessie Weikel [Quarry Hall], Bessie Grater, Charles K Meschter, Horace A Heebner [Stump Hall], John K Heebner [Stump Hall], Rose Wanner [Quarry Hall], Alice K Anson [Stump Hall], Elwood W Anders [Stump Hall], Katie Schultz, Ida C Slough [Anders], Mary Ella Beyer [Cassel’s], Winfield Place [Roberts], Araminta Anders [Anders], Ambrose Kriebel [Metz’s], Amanda Detwiler [Quarry Hall].  This is the largest class Worcester ever graduated.  The Commencement exercise will be held Saturday Afternoon, May 16, in Lowne’s Hall, Center Point.  The program will be published in due time.”   5 Apr 1889-Montgomery Transcript

“A week to-morrow (Saturday, May 18,) the public school of Worcester township will hold their fourth Annual Commencement in the Schwenkfelder church, commencing at 2 o’clock in the afternoon, when sixteen pupils representing six schools will graduated and receive their diplomas.

“As predicted the Commencement of the public schools of Worcester township Saturday afternoon, was a great occasion for the township, and a larger audience never occupied the basement of the Schwenkfelder church than that which crowed itself into the building.  The hour was set at 2 o’clock, all who came at that hour were obliged to remain outside, and there were many of these.  It would have required a room again is large as the basement of the church to comfortably seat all who were inside and outside.  People were present from Lansdale, West Point, Norristown, Upper Merion Township, Ironbridge, Zieglersville, Skippack and other places, all whom agreed that Worcester is in the front rank in educational matters.  All of which is due to the progressive Board of Directors in that township.  24 May 1889 – Montgomery Transcript

1889-1890 Warren R Rahn, resigned -Ellwood Flener, resigned -Olive Nyce

”Measles are still in our midst, Metz’s school has been reduced from sixty pupils to eighteen.  When it was decided to close until next week.  Anders school may also be closed.”   28 Feb 1890-Montgomery Transcript

“Measles are still prevailing and spreading over the township.  The attendance of all the schools is more or less affected.  Cassel’s school has been closed for over a week.  H K Anson opened his school Stump Hall again last Monday.”  21 Feb 1890-Montgomery Transcript

”Superintendent R F Hoffecker, Monday examined seven applicants for schools in Worcester township.  All succeeded but one.  The School board elected the following teachers after the examination.  Clara B Custer, Fairview Village School; Bessie Grater, Roberts School; Wm. M Geyer, Metz’s school; H K Anson, Stump Hall School; A L Anson, Bethel School; Alice Hendricks, Anders school; the teacher for Cassel’s school has not yet been appointed.”   20 Jun 1890 – Montgomery Transcript

1890-1891 Clare B Custer (Class of ’86)

“The teachers will hold an examination for the senior pupils of the public schools Saturday, at Stump Hall School House, beginning at 8 o’clock in the morning.  The object is to ascertain the general standing of the pupils.  It is thought the passing average will be raised.  This would be a good step forward.”   2 Jan 1891 – Montgomery Transcript

“The School Directors Tuesday finished their annual visiting tour of the schools.  Water Street and Stump Hall schools being the last on the list.  The Board was entertained at the residence of David Roberts, where an excellent dinner was given by the veteran President of the Board,now about to retire.”  27 Feb 1891 – Montgomery Transcript

“After 27 years of continuous service as a member and President of the Worcester School Board, David Roberts will this year retire from the Board.  His successor, Joseph H Hunsberger, was elected Tuesday. Jeremiah K Anders was elected to the late Abraham K Anders who was a member of the Board for 21 years.”   20 Feb 1891 – Montgomery Transcript

“The examination of the senior class of the schools of this township by Superintendent Hoffecker was held Saturday in the Fairview Village school house.  The entire class, fourteen in number passed.  Eleven are girls.  The names of the graduates and the schools which they attended are as follows:  Allen Seipt, Warren Anders, Flora A Heebner, Stump Hall; Irene Seipt, Katie Brecht and John R Keyser, Metz’s; Anna Morgan, Emma Detwiler, Mary Morgan, Mattie Markley and Andrew Trucksess, Fairview; M. Anna Dotts and Jennie Wilkinson, Bethel; Tillie Walker, Anders School.  The commencement will be held in the Schwenkfelder church,Saturday June 6.”   8 May 1891-Montgomery Transcript

1891-1892 Warren R Rahn

“The schools of this township opened Monday.  The number of pupils in attendance was as follows: Stump Hall 29, Water Street 34, Fairview Village 38, Metz’s 40, Anders 42, Cassel’s 35, and Bethel 26.”  4 Sep 1891-Montgomery Transcript

“Last Thursday and Friday Superintendent Hoffecker examined the senior class of Worcester Township.  The following composed the class and passed the examination: Mamie E Schultz, Bertha I Moyer, Sallie Seasholtz, Katie Place, Etta Custer, Howard Beyer, Charles Kriebel, Wilson Freeman, and John Bossert, the commencement will be held on the afternoon of May 28th in the Schwenkfelder Church.”   6 May 1892-Montgomery Transcript

“The commencement of the public schools of Worcester in the Schwenkfelders church last Saturday was a grand success.  The singing by Heebner quartette was especially fine.  Dr. George K Meschter addressed the graduates, his chief theme being every man to his own work.  Jesse S Kriebel, in presenting the diplomas, made some very appropriate remarks and encouraged the parents to take a personal interest in schools and encourage the children by visiting the schools.  Superintendent Hoffacker made a strong address.  He upheld the necessity of education.  In the course of his remarks, during which the Superintendent grew warm, he said: I speak somewhat excitedly to-day, because I heard that one of the townships intend to lower the school tax by lowering teachers salaries and shorting school term.  He urged Worcester to hold the standard high.”   3 Jun 1982-Montgomery Transcript

“The School Board has increased the salaries of the teachers from 40 to 45 dollars per month, and made the following appointments: Anders, Miss Hendricks; Cassel’s, Miss Ella Moser; Metz’s, Isaiah M Stover; Stump Hall, H K Anson; Robert’s, A L Anson; Fairview Village and Bethel are still vacant.   24 Jun 1892 – Montgomery Transcript

1892-1893 Mary Faulkner

1893-1894 Mary Faulkner

1894-1895 Mary Faulkner, resigned and Esther Wynne appointed

1895-1896 Henrietta Zwier [Zieders may be correct]

bet 1864 and 1896 – Quarry Hall School Worcester

On Sunday night, Jan 12, 1896 the Fairview school building with all the contents burned to the ground.  The following day the 13th at 2:00 pm the school board met to view the premises and consider a place to open a temporary place for a school when the second floor of Fairview Creamery was accepted.

“Quarry Hall school house, near Fairview Village, a brick building and the largest school house to the township seven, was destroyed by fire Sunday night about 10 o’clock, together with its entire contents.  There was a heater in the cellar in which a fresh fire had been built that day.  The precise origin of the fire, of course, will never be known.  The teacher of the school is Miss Henrietta Zieders, a Harrisburg lady.”  17 Jan 1896 – Montgomery Transcript

“The pupils of the burned Quarry Hall School are now taught in the Fairview Village creamery building.”  24 Jan 1896-Montgomery Transcript

“The new school house near Fairview Village is under roof.  James Beyer, Norritonville, is doing the work.”  12 Jun 1896-Montgomery Transcript

[This is likely when the name “Fairview” was officially adopted]

1896-1897 Lillian Wanner (’87)

1897-1898 Lillian Wanner (’87)

1898-1899 Mary S Rittenhouse (‘93) in place of Isaiah M Stover???

1899-1900 Annie Z Knabb

1900-1901 Ella Z Anders

1901-1902 Ella Z Anders

1902-1903 Katie Faust

1903-1904 Harvey Kline

1904-1905 Harvey Kline

1905-1906 Harvey Kline

1906-1907 Mary S Rittenhouse (“93)

At Feb 20 meeting reference to the establishment of a Township High School was brought up, and laid over to another meeting.

1907-1908 Flora Z Anders

The tax rate was fixed at 4 mills in preparation of opening a High School, which was decided on June 15, 1908 in Farmers Hall, Center Point.  Professor Harvey G Allebach was appointed as Principal.  The assistant teachers were eliminated for one room schools. 

1908-1909 Horace K Anders

1909-1910 Horace K Anders

1910-1911 Horace K Anders

1911-1912 Horace K Anders

1912-1913 Horace K Anders

1913-1914 Horace K Anders

1914-1915 Horace K Anders

1915-1916

Addition of one room to Fairview School to create Fairview Consolidated School attended by Fairview and Water Street students.  Joseph Wiltsee Principal, Primary Room vacant.  See “The Crisis and Consolidation of the One Room Schoolhouses”

1937 Fairview Consolidated School 1st-2nd-3rd Grades
Row 1: 1 Frank Bishop, 2 unidentified, 3 Bill Evans, 4 Dick Markley, 5 unidentified
Row 2: 1 Mary Harris, 2 unidentified, 3 Iris Reichenbach, 4 Edward Huginer, 5 Mildred Fulmer, 6 Betty Anders, 7 Thelma Slough

****************************

1937 Fairview Consolidated School 4th-5th-6th Grades
Row 1: 1 Joe Harris, 2 Frank Bishop, 3 Rose DeMartino, 4 Dorothy Evans, 5 Bill Markley, 6 Edward Huginer
Row 2: 1 Madeline Harris, 2 Arlene Anders, 3 Elise Ziegler, 4 Frances Butera, 5 Maureen Kennedy, 6 Eleanor Brandt, 7 Alice Reichenbach, 8 Rose Alderfer
Row 3: 1 June Dell, 2 Phyllis Brandt, 3 Sally Bartsch, 4 Doris Alderfer, 5 Joyce Green, 6 Lena DiMartino, 7 Anna Harteg
Row 4: 1 Bobby Ziegler, 2 Blaine Harteg, 3 Earl Ritter, 4 Charles Harteg
(Notes: Edward Huginer lived with Sallie Brey and was the caretaker of the Fairview Village Assembly Hall)

****************************

A new, modern 60 passenger school bus will be put into service when our schools open next Tuesday.  This will please the pupils of Fairview Village school, who will be transported to and from school in it.     29 Aug 1940 – Montgomery Transcript

1940 Fairview Consolidated School 1-6 Grades
Row 1: 1 unidentified, 2 William “Bill” Markley
Row 2: 1 unidentified, 2 unidentified, 3 Richard “Dick” Markley, 4 Mary Harris, 5 Iris Reichenbach, 6 Gerry Brooks, 7 Bill Evans, 8 unidentified, 9 Miss Gerder, 10 unidentified
Row 3: 1 unidentifed,2 Thelma Slough, 3 unidentifed, 4 unidentifed, 5 unidentifed, 6 Kathryn Collins, 7 Dorothy Evans, 8 unidentifed
Row 4: 1 Edward Evans, 2 unidentifed, 3 Curtis Reichenbach, 4 unidentifed, 5 unidentifed

****************************

1943 Fairview Consolidated School
Row 1: 1 Donald Smith, 2 Stanton Brown, 3 Alexander Collins, 4 Karl Roth, 5 Lawrence “Larry” McDade Plummer, 6 Curtis Reichenbach, 7 David Bean, 8 Henry Collins, 9 Mrs Eleanor Ludwig Polite
Row 2: 1 Roland Solomon, 2 Barbara Smith, 3 Roseanne Insull, 4 Florence Cameron, 5 Peggy Jane Butera, 6 Judith “Judy” Cassel, 7 Mary Mallinckrodt, 8 Jane Collins, 9 Earl Snyder
Row 3: 1 Dorothy Reinert, 2 Barbara Cassel, 3 Sarah Slough, 4 Jane Hilderbrand, 5 Patsi Reichenbach, 6 Janet Cameron, 7 Mary Patterson, 8 Nanci Reichenbach
(Notes: Eleanor Ludwig married Roosevelt Polite; Collins were brother and sister, Cassel’s not related, Nanci and Patsi Reichenbach were twins and did not know Barbara Cassel was a sister until years later. Reichenbach’s were all Montgomery County Aid Society foster kids, last name Lilley; Barbara Smith was from Texas, father worked on Big Inch Pipeline; There was a pile of tin cans behind the photographer that were collected for the war reflecting on some of the class)

“28 Jan 1943 – Montgomery TranscriptThe township first shipment of tin cans will be made next week.  The school children have been working hard making collections for some time.  If no one has called at your home phone Mrs Amos Rothenberger, Center Point 2301 before February 4th.  It is hoped we will have a ton for our shipment and that takes 9,000 cans.”    

****************************

1945 Fairview Consolidated School 1-4 Grades
Row 1: 1 Ralph Milner (3rd), 2 Earl Snyder (4th), 3 Henry Collins (3rd), 4 Jay H Clemmer (4th), 5 Mrs Mae Bobb
Row 2: 1 Robert Glenn Brown (2nd), 2 Alexander Scott Collins (4th), 3 Dorothy Reinert (4th), 4 Jane Hilderbrand (4th), 5 Stanton Brown (4th), 6 Calvin Collins (1st)
Row 3: 1 Belva Cassel (1st), 2 Evelyn Marie Zern (3rd), 3 Barbara Lilley Cassel (1st), 4 Sarah L Slough (4th), 5 Patsi Lilley Richenbach (4th), Nansi Lilley Reichenbach (4th), Betty Jane Bean (2nd)
(Notes: One 3rd grader missing; Teacher Mae Marie Reichenbach Bobb 24 Jun 1889 – 15 Aug 1980; Patsi and Nansi Lilley Reichenbach- twins; Patsi, Nansi and Barbara Lilley – foster children) )
Contributed by Sarah Slough Cook

****************************

1944-45 Fairview Consolidated School

 

1944-45 Fairview Consolidated School (one row only)

****************************

1945 Fairview Consolidated School

The Fairview Village schoolhouse, a one and a half story brick building 63 by 48 feet in size, fronting on Church road [changed to Quarry Hall Road in Worcester, still Church Road in Lower Providence] will be sold at public sale Monday evening, August 11.  This is a very desirable property with apartment possibilities.     17 Jul 1947 – Montgomery Transcript

The Fairview Village school property located on Church road [see above] consisting of three acres of nicely located ground with a one and half brick building was sold at Public sale on Monday evening by W. Earl Markley to W A Thomas, a retired machinist, of Philadelphia, for $8,800.  Mr. Thomas will make extensive improvements to the property and will reside there.     14 Aug 1947 – Montgomery Transcript

Sources:

Heebner, Joseph R., “A Century of Public School System of Worcester Township Montgomery County, Penna.”

Deeds, Montgomery County Records Archive

“The Montgomery Transcript” Extracts by Lester Landis