Farmers' Union Hall - 2011 Valley Forge Road
Village of Center Point
Farmers Union Hall was built in 1898 by the Farmers Union of Montgomery County, a group of Worcester farmers
which was organized for the mutual welfare and advancement of "Agriculture, Education, Progress and Public Improvement"
for farmers and the township. The Alumni Association of Worcester Township assisted with the cost of building the Hall.
Built by volunteer labor and donations, this building embodies the versatility, industriousness, and strong community
ties of the Worcester farming community. Originally, the lower level contained a stabling area for up to 40 horses.
This was later blacktopped and used for community gatherings.
From 1908 to 1911, the building housed Worcester's High School. School plays, graduations, and community events were
held in the Hall for many years and are still recalled by the township's oldest residents.
From 1932 to 1942, the Center Point Egg Auction was held in the lower level. By the 1950s, the Farmers Union had
dissolved, and the building was transferred to Worcester Township. From 1967 to 1983, the building housed the Worcester
In 1986, the Worcester Historical Society began leasing the building from the township to house our growing collection
of historic artifacts. Today, the Hall is the home of WHS's museum and library. The building is open to the public on
designated days during the year, and by appointment by calling 610-584-5619.
The mission of the Worcester Historical Society is to tell the story of life in Worcester
during the second half of the 19th century and continuing to the present.
By collecting and preserving artifacts of that period, we will give future generations
insight into that society, its people, their family life, education, industry, and
especially the farming.
Get the Book!
A History of Worcester Township tells the story of Worcester - its inns, churches,
schools, mills, villages, and residents - from the time of William Penn to the Bicentennial,
including an index to over 200 pages of information on historic homes. This 556-page book
was first published in 1976 and is now in its third edition. This beautiful hardbound edition,
with index, is available from the Society for $45. To order, contact WHS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Evangelical Congregational "Old Dutchie" Church - 1581 Valley Forge Road
The Evangelical Congregational Church
of Worcester, or Evangelisches Versemmlangs Haus, was built in 1845 by German immigrants who fled to Pennsylvania to escape religious persecution. The building was referred to as the “Old Dutchie Church” by Worcester residents because of its German origins.
The church was built on 5 acres of land donated by Christian and Sarah Wanner (see page 405 of A History of
Worcester Township for additional information), who lived across the road in the old farmhouse to the southeast.
Henry Frick, an original member, owned a local quarry and donated the stone. The Frick quarry is now but a
depression on a private property on nearby Potshop Road. The structure of the church is common to the period,
although few examples in the area remain today, as many were torn down and replaced by larger buildings
during the Victorian period.
The property was purchased in 1978 by the Friends of the Worcester Historical Society and later transferred
to the Worcester Historical Society, which continues to preserve it as an important part of the township's history.
Thanks to a number of generous donations to the Worcester Historical Society, the "Dutchie" Church has
recently undergone extensive repairs to protect its architecture and historic integrity. This includes
a new chimney, roof, exterior and interior paint, and a thorough cleaning of the floor.
The small medallion on the exterior left corner of the building is a "US Coast and Geodetic Survey" seal,
which was placed on the building in 1942 as a surveying benchmark. It is part of a nationwide network of
over 1 million survey monuments which are the basis for horizontal and vertical control for all the mapping
done in the US. The “Geodetic Survey” dates back to Thomas Jefferson, who commissioned a survey
of the coast of the United States in 1807.
An additional point of interest is the Red Oak in the woods behind the cemetery, which has been recognized as
one of Worcester’s “ancient trees,” found as #8 on page 335 of A History of Worcester Township.
The cemetery contains 81 graves, according to the records, which represent three generations of many families;
grandparents, parents, and children. The oldest STONE (first burial) dates to 1846 and belongs to Ann Beyer (J-10).
[The church was constructed in 1845.] Ann was the daughter of John and Lydia Beyer (J-11) and was about 15.
For reasons not known, Lydia chose to bury her daughter, a grandson, and herself here and not with her husband,
John, in the Methacton Mennonite Cemetery. He died in a fall at a mill in 1832 when Ann was one year old.
Lydia's maiden name was Frick.
The oldest PEOPLE buried in the cemetery are Michael Bruner (E-10), Sallie Landis Lare (B-9,) and Haddie
Loos Kreamer (C-3), all of whom reached 91 years of age. The oldest BODY in the cemetery belongs to Agnes
Lehman (H-3), who was born about 1775 and was likely the mother of George (H-1) and grandmother of Jacob
(H-2), another example of three generations buried together.